Wednesday 30 May 2012

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordan

by Miranda Kenneally
Release Date: December 1st, 2011

Goodreads
Amazon
Book Depository

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.





First off let me just say that you do not, I repeat, DO NOT have to know anything about football to enjoy this book. Yes, this is a sports book, but luckily for me it read like a dream! I am in no way a sports person, nor do I pretend to understand half of the things that happen during Monday night football, which is why I was a little nervous about picking up Catching Jordan. Sports books tend to go over my head, and, save for a select few, I usually give up on them after the first chapter. So what was it about Catching Jordan that held my attention and left me begging for more? Let me just say that all the hype is totally justified!

Catching Jordan delivers us a gem of a YA teen in Jordan, our leading tomboy footballer. Jordan is not your typical teenage girl: she is over six feet tall, is not afraid of stuffing her face full of Buffalo wings, and avoids “shopping dates” like the plague. Right off the bat – err 50 yard line- Jordan instantly comes off as a warm, caring and overall loveable character! While Jordan is not afraid to play ruff with the boys, she still has the same fears and faces the same turmoil as any teenage girl; she wants boys to notice her, not just as the quarterback, but as an actual girl. Her home life may seem perfect but her dad focuses more on supporting her teammates, her brother, and other players above his own daughter; in fact he actually dismisses Jordan’s games and only wants her to stop playing football. Luckily, Jordan has the best group of teammates around, and perhaps maybe one teammate might be recruited as a starting boyfriend?

And speaking of the guys, boy does Jordan have her hands full! First there is Henry, her long-time best friend, teammate, and sleeping buddy (keeps your caps on people, it’s not what you’re thinking!). Henry is pure adorable fluffy goodness, and is the ideal guy in need of some good hair ruffling! Second, we have Ty, new guy on the team, Chace Crawford look-alike, and Jordan’s competition for quarterback; he is also Jordan’s current fixation with a swoon-worthy drawl, overprotective personality and troubles of his own. Both boys have their moments – one more than the other- and readers with have their hearts on the edge as Jordan struggles between her developing feelings and attraction towards both boys.

Without giving too much away, let me just say that the interactions between Jordan and her leading men are absolutely melt-in-your-seat crush-worthy! And I am not just specifically talking her romantic leads; no I am talking all the guys! Every character leaps off of the page, and is given equal time to develop and huddle themselves into even the toughest readers’ hearts! Not in a long time have I felt such emotional ties to a cast of characters as I felt with the cast of Catching Jordan. Just sitting down to one of Jordan’s family/teammate dinners reminded me of thanksgiving dinners with my family, and the ability to relate to this book is what makes it so enjoyable.

Picking up Catching Jordan was a whirlwind of a good time! Thankfully I was able to finish this book in one sitting or else I am sure that my university assignments would have been put on the backburner. However, Catching Jordan stayed with me long after I finished the last satisfying and adorable page! Immediately I shoved it on my roommate, demanding that she MUST read it and would NOT BE ABLE TO PUT IT DOWN!

Simply put, Catching Jordan is a special gem of a book that defied my expectations of what a sports YA could be about. Catching Jordan is about believing in yourself, your dreams, and your friends. It’s about not only love of the game, but loving yourself and those around you! Catching Jordan is definitely a touch down!

RATING

5 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment