Wednesday 13 June 2012

Fudging Excited for Reads

FUDGING EXCITED FOR READS

The Program by Suzanne Young


Title: The Program

Author: Suzanne Young

Release Date: April 30, 2013

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Summary: Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone.

With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in.

And The Program is coming for them.



Thoughts:

Can I just say that this book has a combination of things that I find exciting in YA! The cover is pretty simple; just a boy and a girl, holding hands with pure white walls surrounding them. When things are either in black or white I immediately take an interest. I love color, but the absence of color makes me shiver for some reason. And these pure white walls and white doors are making me shiver like crazy. The boy and girl are in pure yellow jumpsuits, which makes me think of a penitentiary or even a type of cult setting where being an individual is far from encouraged. And of course, the title alone is short, simple and reeks of creepy, evil and just plain wrongness! Love it!

The summary only makes me want the book more! This ‘program’ immediately gives off that cult, brainwashing vibe and I happen to love that vibe to the max. Anything that takes over society and desires to control and/or wipe people clean immediately lands on my radar! I have read a few books where emotions are considered wrong including: Lauren Oliver’s Delirium, Ally Condie’s Matched, and Beth Revis’ Across the Universe and all of these books intrigued me because human emotions are what encompasses humanity. People need all of their emotions in order to feel compassion, love, anger, humility, loyalty, sadness, etc. Without one of these emotions, a person would not really be human to me, and to take away one emotion will slowly strip people of their ability to be truly human. Now this is only my opinion, so don’t go thinking it is ultimately right but I believe that emotions should not be destroyed or tampered with by anyone.

Anyway, this book is one that I am fudging excited to read, and cross my fingers that the Mayans were wrong with their calendar because the world should not miss out on discovering this read!

Check out Suzanne Young's Blog for more information

No comments:

Post a Comment